Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Learning to Eat

Sam is still learning to eat. Sure, he loves to eat fresh pureed food that I feed to him on a baby spoon...but self-feed? No thank you. Now, don't get me wrong, I am happy that he lets me feed him or meal time could be a real disaster. It's just that I am hoping to teach him how to feed himself eventually so I don't have to go to school with him and feed him his PB&J sandwich! He now has the pincher grasp down and loves to pick things up and put them near his mouth, or even chew on a 'puff' (those really expensive cheerios that melt in their mouth) while holding it, but he doesn't get the concept of releasing the food into his mouth. Instead, he holds his mouth open so that I will feed it to him. We tried this whole self-feeding again today with small pieces of melon. I thought a new food might do the trick! He liked playing with them but was perfectly content to open his mouth for me to feed him and then chew like crazy...at least he is learning to chew! What a silly boy!

I should mention that Sam had no problem "eating" the grocery cart when were shopping today. That is just SO gross! I put his seat cover on so he wasn't touching any part of the cart and he just pulled it away to chew on the metal bars. Between that and trying to steer him away from all of the people who want to touch him at the store, shopping is becoming quite an adventure :)

2 comments:

Janice said...

Ugh, don't you just HATE those gross shopping carts!?!? And I hate those people that want to touch Abby too! I once had an old man come all the way from across the store to touch her face and (because she was teething and chewing on everything) he even asked if she wanted to chew on his finger! EWWWWW!!! No thank you!

I think Sam will feed hinself soon. Sounds like he is doing what Abby did just before she started doing it. Don't worry mom, you won't have to join him daily in the cafeteria at school:-) Heehee.

The Hamons said...

I feel your pain, friend! Evan will now ONLY feed himself which is a disaster when it comes to "new" things - he's decided he no longer likes veggies that he loved pureed. Oh the challenges we never thought we'd face :)

And I sometimes feel like a celebrity mom when I go shopping with Evan with all the people who stop and oogle at this baby beaming at them! :)