Sunday, August 10, 2008
Baby Food
I have decided to make most, if not all, of Samuel's baby food. On Saturday we went to a small, family-owned organic farm and picked a peck of green beans and spent the evening steaming, pureeing and freezing them in ice cube trays. It is actually very easy to make baby food and I feel good knowing that Sam will be eating fresh and organic veggies. Now I am just hoping that he loves green beans because he has enough to last him for a long time! Tonight I did a batch of peaches from a local farm. I don't think they are organic though and I am having a tough time finding local organic farms that sell fruit. I still hope to make and freeze applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes and carrots. Luke's parents have apple and pear trees, we are growing carrots in our garden so now I just have to find sweet potatoes. This is a new adventure for me, so I am open to any hints or suggestions! I will be sure to post pictures when Sam tries all of these homemade foods for the first time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I'm planning on doing this too once the boys are old enough to eat. Thanks for pioneering the way! Let me know if I need to buy the baby food making kit that I registered for or if it's easy enough to do with stuff you have at home already.
MMMMMM! I did the same for Ian! Thankfully my dad has a huge garden so that really helped. I don't know about sweet potatoes, other than the certified organic ones from whole foods? Making baby food is surprisingly easy...isn't it so sad that more people don't do it? When you're ready to move on to meats, let me know, I "learned" some things along the way when it comes to making baby food meats...
Keep up the great work!
Have you tried trader joes or whole foods?! Best places on earth :)
PS: you two can not make fun of us anymore for our diets!! :) Organic, huh??
Post a Comment