Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's My Party...

On Saturday we celebrated Sam's birthday with a party at our church. Unfortunately, the night before the party he woke up coughing and just not feeling well. Thankfully he seemed better the next morning and although he was just not completely himself, it was a great party. Like most moms I have been so excited about the moment when Sam can make a complete mess eating his first birthday cake. I had visions of him smashing the cake with his hands and smearing it all over the place while laughing with delight. Well, that was not quite what happened...almost the exact opposite happened actually. Sam was pretty scared of his "smash" cake and wanted nothing to do with it. Now, to give Sam some credit...the cake did have a face on it that could resemble a scary clown, not to mention that thirty people were staring at him, encouraging him to have a taste. We removed the clown face and he still didn't want anything to do with the cake...he would touch it with the tip of his finger and then quickly turn away. Finally, we just gave him a piece of the cake and that seemed to do the trick. So much for that moment that I was anxiously awaiting but Sam still was able to enjoy his cake...and really, isn't that what that moment is all about anyway?!

Looks pretty harmless huh?! Well not to a 1 year old I guess.

Not sure about the cake...it got worse once we made him touch it.

The crying starts and I had to pick him up out of the highchair.

Much happier, eating his slice of cake...with no evidence of the scary face


1 comment:

Janice said...

Awww....how cute! That was a scary cake, though...haha. much like Abby's "scary" teddy bear that she didn't want to touch at first either. I'm glad the party went well. You'll have to post more pictures:-)