Monday, June 2, 2008
Unwanted Advice
So I have heard lots of stories about new mothers getting unwanted advice or scolding from complete strangers, but I never thought it would happen to me. Well, today it did! Luke and I were enjoying a light breakfast at Panera and Samuel was strapped in his car seat and in the stroller. He was sleeping in the car and had just woken up once we sat down to eat. This older lady came over to admire him and then proceeded to tell us to pick our son up out of the car seat. She said that she hated to see any human being "tied down". I just looked at Luke because I wasn't sure I heard her correctly. We tried to explain to her that he was just sleeping, he is strapped in his car seat for safety reasons and that we hold our son all of the time. That wasn't good enough for her and she kept telling us to pick him up and hold him because it is so important. We were both shocked and didn't know what to say. Once she left I almost burst into tears because she made me feel like such a negligent mother. I quickly came to my senses and realized we had done nothing wrong and Samuel was fine sitting strapped in his car seat! That boy is given so much love and attention by us and that woman was so insensitive to say something to us when she had no idea what kind of parents we are. I mean, don't we already feel guilty as parents over the little things that we do or don't do for our children?! I expected that someone might say something to me about nursing in public or about forgetting to put shoes or socks on Samuel for church...but letting him stay strapped in his car seat?! Crazy! Anyone else have a run in with a stranger who critiqued your parenting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
That is crazy! You should have told her you don't believe in holding your children. HA! I often wonder what people like that think about before they speak to complete strangers! We've gotten a lot about my kids not having socks or shoes on. Really, if they arent' walking yet and its not cold out, why is it necessary? So funny. xoxo
She picked him UP???????? AHHHHH!!! I think Roger might have punched her, old or not. Strangers do NOT hold my baby. Period. Aside from that, you're great parents and Samuel is so blessed to have incredible, loving, intelligent parents to guide him through life. That lady needs a piece of someones mind! I've never had someone say something like that to me... all winter we struggled because Ian would NOT leave shoes or socks on...we constantly got the "bad parents" look from people. It is so hurtful even when we know we cant do anything more! I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! (And I'm glad Luke was there so that you didn't have to deal with her alone!!)
She didn't pick him up...she kept telling us to pick him up because she didn't like him being strapped in his seat. I would have freaked out if she would have picked him up! :)
Ahh... i must've misread. I'm so glad she didn't pick him up!
What an unfortunate encounter. I'm sure this won't be the last that you'll experience. Just realize that when people give you unsolicited advice, it is their problem, not yours. You're a great mom!
Post a Comment