
Yesterday Luke and I spent our whole Saturday at West Penn Hospital, not delivering the baby, but at Lamaze Class. Now I was pretty skeptical about this whole class, but figured that I know nothing about birthing a baby so it would pretty irresponsible of us to skip it. We were pleasantly surprised. It was a great class (although Luke and I are kinda dorks in the fact that we like learning and organized fun) and well presented. There is so much about my body and what happens to it in labor that I could never have learned from a book. Most of all the instructor gave us some great tips on being prepared for labor, what to bring, what the hospital experience is like and most importantly some "comfort techniques" for dealing with all of the pain! Now I don't expect to remember most of it when the time comes, but have told Luke that it is his job to remind me of certain breathing and birthing techniques. I was most surprised to learn that the best way to give birth isn't flat on your back, but kinda upright so gravity can help you out. Goes to show that most of what you see in the movies is not a good representation of things in the real world. My favorite part of the class was the hospital tour because the hospital has these BIG (I mean like much bigger than my bedroom) and very nice delivery rooms. They even have a pull-out couch for the Dads to sleep on and are furnished with a full bathroom (some have jacuzzi tubs) and an armoire with a tv, vcr and cd player. What more can you want?! Of course when I told my Mom all of this, she told me that when the time comes I could care less if I was delivering there or on the hall floor. Ah Mom, always there to bring me back to reality! Anyway, I think Luke and I are as ready for labor as we will ever be...and yes we did have to watch a scary birthing video. Thankfully Luke only looked squeamish when the placenta was delivered and I was pretty grossed out at that point too. Only 9 more weeks to go at this point!
No comments:
Post a Comment