Monday, January 5, 2009

Car Seat Help

I need all of you mommies out there to give me some advice on convertible car seats! We need to bite the bullet and buy one for Sam and I am not sure which one to get. I have read some reviews and am leaning towards a Britax but then I think that there are probably other models that are just as good for a better price. My only two 'musts' are that it needs to be both rear and forward facing and that it goes up to a higher weight limit so it will last us longer. Any suggestions?!

5 comments:

suzannah | the smitten word said...

we like our evenflo titan elite:

http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Titan-Elite-Car-Seat/dp/B000YZ7ZRM/sr=1-6/qid=1231183357/ref=sr_1_6/190-6040791-5087826?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038590&rh=k%3Aevenflo%20convertible&page=1

we registered for ours, and i'm so glad we did. it's half the price of a britax and has been great. it's good infant thru 50 lbs.

good luck, and happy new year!

Unknown said...

We have 2 britax's (a marathon and a roundabout). I like them both. I LOVE the marathon. It is worth every penny! AND I can install it myself. It goes up to 45 lbs, Ian is SO comfortable in it. It is VERY adjustable. He rode in it rear and now forward facing. It is easy to clean and looks nice in the car. It can also accommodate an infant as little as 6 pounds and still fits in a smaller sedan rear facing.

You guys are welcome to test it out over here!

Unknown said...

I should add that we have had it more than a year and it still looks new, too. It is one of the one "baby gear" items that Roger and I both agree is worth the expense.

Lara said...

For what it's worth, I once read on a review of Britaxes (how do you make that plural?) that they are the Graco of the UK. The reviewer lived in England and thought it was funny they were so expensive here because they are very middle-of-the-road there.
We have 2 Eddie Bauer seats I got at Target, and we like them just fine. Both can be used as belt-positioning boosters, so they will last. One is good to only (!) 80 pounds, but could be used both rear- and forward-facing. The other is good to 100 pounds (meaning I could have ridden in it well into middle school) but is only forward-facing. The only reason I got them is because we had gift cards both times and they were exactly the amount of the cards I had. :) I didn't do a ton of research.
When we were at 2nd in Indy, there was a couple there who were certified child restraint specialists, and I remember them saying the best car seat you can get is the one you can easily install and use correctly. I'd say it's especially important that the straps are easy to adjust. The seat Scott and Ash have for Kylee is great for that--you might ask them about it.

*shell* said...

We got the Graco Nautilus...it goes from Forward facing carseat to straight back booster to backless booster, all in one. Goes up to like 100 lbs and 10 years old I think. It's about $150 so cheaper than the Britax and it will last much longer as far as weight goes. So far we're very happy with it and I've talked to others who've had them longer and had no problems with them.